Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Ultimate Recipe Swap: Taco Soup

Over at LifeasMOM there is a Superbowl recipe swap, and I am so excited! There is nothing I love better than an excuse to make lots of yummy food for the family, set out a "picnic blanket" in the living room, and watch some TV. Yes, there are probably healthier things we could do as a family, but, hey, we like food!

One thing that I usually make for these events, though, is Taco Soup. Adrienne, in particular, loves it and requests it whenever possible. I use my own taco seasoning, free of msg, gluten, and other strange additives.

Taco Soup

1 cup red kidney beans
1 cup pinto beans
2 lbs ground beef
2 cans diced tomatoes
1 lb frozen corn
4 Tbsp taco seasoning mix (recipe follows)

Soak the beans overnight in your crock-pot. In the morning, rinse the beans and cover with clean water. Brown the beef and add to the crock-pot. Add diced tomatoes, corn, and taco seasoning. Cook for 6-8 hours on low, keeping an eye on the moisture content of the soup. As the beans cook, they will soak up the water, but you need enough moisture for a chili-like consistency.

Serve in bowls and top with cheese and sour cream (if you can tolerate dairy) and corn chips.


Taco Seasoning

2 Tbsp cornstarch
6 Tbsp salt
8 Tbsp chili powder
6 tsp cumin
3 tsp oregano
6 tsp dried garlic
6 tsp red pepper flakes

Mix together all ingredients and store in an airtight container. Two tablespoons equals one commercial package.

2 comments:

  1. this has became a favorite at our house thanks for the slow cook version though as I normaly make in skillet

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Recipe!!! I am changing my eating habits, and everything in this I think I can have. I am going to try it! Thanks for sharing. ~

    ReplyDelete