Monday, August 3, 2009

Barbecue Sauce

One of my favorite summer activities is grilling out on the deck, and nothing tastes as good on the grill as ribs. Unfortunately, commercial barbecue sauce is full of msg, food starch, and other gluten-containing additives. Instead, I have started making my own sauce, and I've refined my recipe over the last few months. The following recipe makes enough sauce for two racks of ribs. We usually use half the sauce and store the other half.

1/2 cup of butter
1/2 cup of brown sugar
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1 cup ketchup
2 tsp dry mustard
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp onion powder

Cook the butter and brown sugar over medium heat until bubbly. Add the vinegar, and stir until smooth. Add ketchup, mustard, and garlic and onion powders. Cook over low heat, stirring periodically, until the sauce has thickened to your desired consistency. Baste meat while grilling.

No comments:

Post a Comment