Monday, August 17, 2009

Crackers!

In the last few weeks, I haven't been blogging as much as I thought I would. On the one hand, my DH has been out of town, and on the other, I have been addicted to reading other blogs and haven't had the time to concentrate on my own. Oh, well. We do what we can, I guess!

In any event, a blog I've been following, http://heavenlyhomemakers.com, has a recipe for cheese crackers using whole wheat flour. Since the family could eat their weight in cheese crackers if I let them, I made it my mission to rework the recipe to make it gluten-free. Here's what I got:

1/4 cup butter
1 T sea salt
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 cup brown rice flour
1/2 cup potato flour (not starch)
1/4 tsp baking powder
1 T water
2 T olive oil

Beat the butter and salt together until creamy. Add the cheese and mix well. Slowly add the flours and baking powder. Mix in the water and olive oil until the dough begins to form a ball. Since it's gluten-free, the ball may never completely form. Use your hands to gently knead and shape into a ball if needed. Place the ball on a cookie sheet between sheets of wax or parchment paper and roll out to cover the whole cookie sheet. It will be a very thin layer of dough. Score into squares and bake at 350F for approximately 15 minutes. Turn the oven off and let the cookies crisp up.

The recipe baked very well. In retrospect, I suppose I could have just added another two tablespoons of butter instead of the olive oil, but I didn't realize I would need it until I tried to get my dough to form. I may try it that way next time. Also, be sure to roll the dough out very thinly, or you get some "cake-like" cheese crackers. Not quite the right texture for the taste :).

On the whole, though, the DD gave the crackers a "Belicious," the DS ate them like they were going out of style, and the DH gave them an "A".

No comments:

Post a Comment