Monday, February 8, 2010

Muffin Tin Mondays: First Attempt

I have been dying to try this idea since I first stumbled upon Michelle's blog a few months ago.  I used to like jazzing up lunch by using cookie cutters on sandwiches, or having Adrienne design something on an open-faced sandwich.  Unfortunately, we don't have a lot of sandwiches anymore, thanks to the allergy-free foods we are eating.  When we do eat sandwiches, it is a novelty unto itself.

So.  Enter Muffin Tin Mondays.  It struck me as a fantastic way to use up the little bits of food that seem to accumulate in the refrigerator, as well as provide a little smorgasboard for the kids.  Each Monday has a different theme, and we are going to try to join in as best we can, given the long list of foods we have to avoid. 

I had been holding out until I found some muffin tins that I liked, but alas, I just haven't had the time lately to pick some up.  Tired of waiting, I decided that we could eat our lunch on plates this week, eating "muffin tin" portions of a variety of foods.

This week, we had tortilla chips, carrot sticks, apples, dried fruit, and oatmeal scones (recipe to follow!).  I just diced Noah's food a little smaller than Adrienne's portions, and he had no problems. 

Verdict:  Muffin Tin Mondays were a hit around here!  I was surprised at the time it took us to eat lunch.  Usually, the kids scarf down as much as they can in ten minutes, and then they are bored.  Not so  today!  Lunch lasted a full 40 minutes, with numerous renditions of our dinner table song, "YUM, YUM, YUMMY YUMMY, YUM."

We'll definitely be doing this next week again!  Now to find the muffin tins!

10 comments:

  1. What yummy and healthy food! Glad you joined!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your food look fun! With the color splash it is just delightful. The green plate and orange carrots and red apples, wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. welcome to mtm! watch out when buying muffin tins. they can be addictive.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome! And yes, it looks YUM YUM YUMMY YUMMY YUM to us too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks great even without the tin!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum, oatmeal scones sound really good! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with W, muffin tins are so fun to buy!

    cheap way: goodwill. I have a heart tin from there

    Michaels: found silicone muffin cups for %40 off w/ coupon

    Walmart: 4.99 for basic 6 cup tin

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the encouragement, everyone! I can't wait til next week! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am glad to see you've joined up- it IS fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. All right! I have been dying to try it since I found out about it last week also...so I'm going to give it a try next week! =)

    ReplyDelete