Monday, August 31, 2009

It's Pie Time

After our weekly "foraging" trip to the farm, I'm always trying to figure out something new to try. This week, my vegetable of choice was butternut. I usually just cut a butternut open and bake it, serving it in a lump as a side dish. This week, I was going for dessert! After all, if pumpkin can make a pie, it would stand to reason that you could do the same with butternut.

I found this recipe doing a quick google search. Because Noah has an egg allergy, I'm gluten free, and Nathan has to watch his refined sugars, I had to make some significant changes. Here's what I did:

1 butternut squash
1 cup skim milk
1/2 cup yogurt
2 T brown rice flour
1/3 cup sucanat
1/2 t salt
1 t allspice
1 t cinnamon
1 t nutmeg

Cut the butternut in half, place facedown in a shallow pan with a cup of water and bake for an hour at 350F. Scoop the flesh of the butternut into a large bowl. Add wet ingredients. Combine dry ingredients in a separate bowl and add to wet ingredients. Mix well. Place in a pie plate, and bake for 45 minutes at 350F.


I preferred the pie warm, but hubby preferred the pie cold. I also served it to the kids for lunch today, and they loved it. They thought they were getting a treat, when it was a glorified vegetable! As another option, you could serve it with fresh whipped cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment