Thursday, February 18, 2010

The Applesauce Donuts That Turned into Pancakes

I started out trying to make some allergy-friendly donuts, as the hubby used to be a donut fiend in a previous, childless life.  In the past two years, we have had roughly five donuts each.  A catastrophe, given the Krispy Kreme addiction we used to battle.

In any event, I knew these wouldn't work very well as Krispy Kreme substitutes, but, at this stage, we will take what we can get!  Nevertheless, once the first batch hit the oil to fry, it was obviously going to end in catastrophe.  Since I used a lot of oat flour, I decided to salvage what I could by turning the rest of the batter into pancakes. 

The result was a nice change from our regular pancakes and was sweet enough not to require syrup.  Next  week I will try these as waffles and see what I get!

Applesauce Pancakes

3/4 c brown sugar
2 T vegetable oil
2 1/2 c oat flour
1 1/2 t baking powder
1/2 t baking soda
1/4 t salt
dash cinnamon and nutmeg
1/4 c rice milk or water
1 c apple sauce
1 t vanilla extract

Mix the first two ingredients until well blended.  Combine dry ingredients and add alternately with rice milk.  Then, stir in applesauce and vanilla.

I use my electric griddle to make these, but you could make them however you usually prefer to make pancakes.

Sift with powdered sugar and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment