Friday, March 12, 2010

Book Beginnings Friday: The Great Gatsby

Book Beginnings on Friday is  a meme hosted by Becky at Page Turners. Anyone can participate; just share the opening sentence of your current read, making sure that you include the title and author so others know what you're reading. If you like, share with everyone why you do, or do not, like the sentence.

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

In my younger and more vulnerable years my father gave me some advice that I've been turning over in my mind ever since.

In my opinion, this is not a particularly good opening sentence.  It does make me curious as to what the advice is, and why it is pertinent; however, the rest of the first chapter is much more intruiging to me.

2 comments:

  1. Very intriguing first sentence. Have you read this before? If not, it's wonderful.


    Here's mine:
    Book Beginnings on Fridays

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the good thing about it is that it doesn't start in the middle of something if you know what I mean. It is a true beginning. He is thinking about something, and from there the story unfolds, but the first chapter is really good.

    I reviewed The great Gatsby here if you want to have a look
    http://pageturnersbooks.blogspot.com/2010/01/blast-from-past-great-gatsby-by-f-scott.html

    I hope you enjoy it, I have mixed feelings about it

    ReplyDelete