Thursday, January 14, 2010

My New Project

For the last week, I have been stuck in bed doing nothing but growing baby #3. In so doing, my mom forwarded me a blurb about Gourmet Crochet, which is doing a crochet-a-long afghan. It has been a while since I started a new project that was not specifically for a child, so I thought I'd give it a try. Since then, I have found myself addicted--yes, compulsively the blog and twitching when there is no update--to this project.

Each day, Carolyn Christmas posts a new square with a variation on a shell pattern. I am making mine with scraps of yarn I have lying around the house, cluttering up my office. So far, there is no discernible color balance, but my mathematical/pattern conscious self will just have to learn to relax and go with the flow. Thankfully, it means that I can clean out some clutter, all while lying in the comfort of my bed! Hooray!

The best thing I have learned from this crochet-a-long, though, is that it doesn't take too terribly long to complete an afghan. I always put of projects because I'm busy with the children, cleaning, errands, life in general, but doing one square per day takes up no time at all. I have been doing them in the few minutes between when the children go to bed and my TV programs start or right through the programs. If I don't push myself and feel as though I need to complete the whole project in one night, I could easily crochet several afghans without even noticing!

No comments:

Post a Comment